Saturday, November 6, 2010

'Tis the season to be jolly...

I hope this finds you all well! Perhaps enjoying a bowl of soup... It is a soup day here in Silver Spring.

As an update on my life, it is going well. Most of the light hours are spent at work, or biking to work. I have been trying to learn as much as I can, as quickly as I can about being a Director of Development. My biggest enemy is my own perfectionism, which is not a good thing to have when learning something new.

I really enjoy the diversity of experiences I get to have each day, though at times it is challenging transitioning from writing a grant, to answering the phones for an hour, to coordinating partnership days with local stores and restaurants, and then having to find meaningful and helpful tasks for seven different interns - who all have varying skill levels. Then there are the networking events, foundation luncheons, award ceremonies, charity fairs, and general making sure the ED has what he needs going into meetings with potential donors, just to name a few of the tasks I do regularly. Needless to say, I am really having to work on my stress management skills. I am hoping that I will be able to find a better balance as time goes on and will just keep trying to roll with it until then. I, hands down, most enjoy the networking and awards luncheons because I get to talk to people and get them excited about what we are doing.

I also still find time to cook and bake. This is the most recent recipe I tried, it was delicious :)

Some of my favorite experiences so far here have been on the bus. I don't spend a lot of time on the bus, but usually when I have to go somewhere I spend a bit more time and a lot less money by taking the bus. At the beginning of October, I ran a 5K that one of our board members was helping to organize (it was fun, I finished 100 of 300+, no one needs to know the time ;) ). On the way back from the race, on the bus, this gentleman started chatting with me. As we were talking, I was asked how old I was - if I didn't think that was rude. I, of course, being my friendly self, really didn't care if this dude knew how old I was, so I told him. And asked how old he was, 51 was the answer. That was followed by asking if I was single. Again, my inability to lie caught me, so when he learned I was, I got the lecture, which I have actually received twice on the bus since I have been here, of how it is amazing a pretty thing like me was single (apparently I look highly attractive un-showered in my sweats, running shoes, seven-year old hoodie, and six-year old torn jacket :-P). I was then told how I needed a real man who could show me a good time, take me out on the town, buy me a nice dinner, etc, etc, etc. To which I responded, with my normal level of sass, "Well, Leonard you let me know when you find that man and send him my way because I have yet to meet him." His response, with 110% sincerity was, "I think I may just be that man." Needless to say, I jumped off that bus about three stops early, walked the opposite direction from my house, and took a new route home :) Then I laughed a lot...

I hope my life continues to amuse you as much as it amuses me! Thanks for keeping in touch. Your emails, notes, calls, etc always brighten my day, and make me wish we were not so far apart!

Shabbat Shalom!

2 comments:

  1. HA HA HA HA HA! I had a similar experience with a 52 year old at the church fall festival I volunteered for.
    Good to hear from you my dear. Love lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, looks delicious and is hilarious (in that order) (and congrats on the 5K!!). ^_^

    ReplyDelete