Sunday, December 18, 2011

Beijing

One month ago today I got back to the USA from my three week trip to mainland China and Hong Kong. It was overall an amazing experience. If anyone knows of a job that will allow me to travel internationally with college students, let me know. :) I figure a month later, it is about time I share the experience with y'all - I tried to include a lot of photos as I have heard those are greatly enjoyed. So first, Beijing.


Exhibit A: I call this smog in Beijing. You may or may not be aware that China has a known pollution problem. This is the first photo I took in China, and my lungs that are still recovering will be the first to tell you Beijing has a pollution problem. I love first moments in a country, seeing signs all in other languages, observing how people dress, act, drive, etc.



Exhibit B. The Hutongs. These are the 'traditional' style of living in Beijing. Basically, there is a common courtyard type place with lots of tiny apartments all clustered around. Some of these were set up based on certain regions of China because people would come to study for the exam that allowed them to work in the government - an exam few passed and many committed suicide over. In USA terms, it would be as if there was one Hutong for people from NW who moved to DC. That way they could enjoy the food, company, and cultural traditions of other NW-ners - things like flannel, North Face jackets, and a 'work fleece' could be appreciated by all. I found these little back alleys fascinating - though jetlag fogs many of my memories there. This is where Chinese modernization is very present as many Hutongs are being destroyed to put in highrises that house China's ever growing population.



Exhibit C: Yes. I did walk on the great wall of China. I may have been singing the songs from Mulan for the entire day... It was simply amazing to think, 'I am walking on the great wall.' It is HUGE, though due to the fog/smog we could not truly appreciate the incredible size of it.



Exhibit D: These are my children. Also known as the students with which I traveled. These photos are at Baidu (the China google equivalent) and Peking University Campus. My students were amusing beyond belief and just happen to hail from all over the US and world - so I look forward to visiting...


Exhibit E: Summer Palace. This is the summer palace - where the emperor and family could go to get out of the hustle and bustle of the forbidden city... It is GORGEOUS!


Exhibit F: Olympic Torch and The Bird's Nest. I had to check out the 2008 Beijing Olympic attractions. The most fun part of this was getting there on the Subway and Bus. By myself. Very early in the morning. I love traveling on adventures with little real plan :)


Exhibit G: This is in front of the Forbidden City, with Mao's Picture. The Forbidden City is where the Emperor, his family, concubines, and eunuchs used to live. It WAS HUGE! And Beautiful. And we kept having conversations about where Mulan had been :) The second picture is of Tianamen Square, again, one of the places I had a 'I can't believe I am here' moment.

And those were the highlights of my week in Beijing. Stay tuned for Shanghai and Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment