Thursday, January 16, 2014

Travels in Thailand


As I think a photo is worth 1,000 words, here are my travels in Thailand...  In 23,000 words...

Thailand, like many countries around the world, has a random mix of traditional and modern and capitalistic.  This was the view from my window at the guest house in Bangkok.  This is near Lumpini Park where many of the recent rallies have been occurring (for those following international news).  You can hopefully see the traditional Buddhist Altar on the balcony, the huge building in the center, and the 7-11 on the lower right.

These were some of the statues in Lumpini Park.  It was a beautiful area.  I ran and walked in the park a number of times during my short stay.  Many folks were up doing Tai Chi, Yoga, Jazzercise, etc. in the morning - it reminded me of my time in Shanghai.

This is a Catholic Church in Bangkok.  It had these huge doors on either side so the breeze would come through (and so there was overflow space).  Once the church was full, folks would grab one of the white, plastic lawn chairs near the entrance and pull it up outside one of the big open 'doors,' extending the church outside the four walls.

I spent one day being a tourist and went to the Grand Palace.  I paid for the 'tourist' boat experience (accidentally) and rode at high speeds along the river.  This is a view from the boat.

This is what you would see if you turned the camera around...  Video found here.

Another view from the river.  I couldn't help but think, looking at all these buildings right on the river, what happens when sea level or river level rises?

I believe this was a Wat (Buddhist compound with Pagoda).  We zoomed by on our exhilarating boat ride.

This is part of the Grand Palace.  The grounds were huge with murals, temples, many buildings, etc.

Proof that I was actually here and not just taking photos from the internet while sitting in my comfy home in Oregon.

Just a few of the statues and such. They have a dress code (as this is a holy place) so scantly clad foreigners were given loaner clothes for the day (I was dressed appropriately so didn't experience this but just observed it). There was a man at the gate that would shout, "Lady, your skirt too short" as people entered.  I laughed.

More cool statues (sadly, that is all I can tell you about them)

This was one of the guys doing 'restoration.'  He had a stencil and would place the thin gold leaflets on it and press it down.  I was enthralled for a while...

This was peering in at the Emerald Buddha (I believe).  Folks travel from afar to visit him (statue).  He has three different outfits one for rainy season, one for summer season, and one for the cool season.  I believe the king changes his clothes...

Outside the Emerald Buddha, you could 'bless' yourself with holy water and a lotus flower.  One guide was telling folks that many people also sprinkle the inside of their purse to, hopefully, be blessed with riches.

This is a Buddha statue, at the emerald Buddha, to which people can make an offering.  They bring the leaflets of gold and stick them on to the statue, lay a lotus flower, and/or leave incense.  It is a similar idea to lighting a candle in a church at the Patron Saint of X, Y or Z.
 

A very nice German Lady, with little faith in my ability to take selfies, offered to take my photo.  This, I think, it the residence of the Thai King.  Some elderly fellow of great importance, arrived in a car while I was standing here.  The security guards moved us all to either side of the street and made sure we were not taking pictures.  Could have been the King or some other dignitary. (Shout out to Kacy for this awesome shirt!)

The guard(s).  This reminded me of London.  Only no elephants in London ;)

I have no idea what that sign says (could say go away you dumb tourist) but this was a beautiful little garden by the royal residence.

After time in Bangkok, all the Maryknollers in SE Asia headed to Hua Hin, Thailand for the annual retreat and meeting.  Hua Hin is a beach town with more sunburned, half naked Scandinavians than I ever needed to see in my life :)  When we had free time, I spent a lot of it here on the beach walking/running.  Not being a sunburned, half-naked, 1/4 Scandanavian...

  
 During one of the masses they had a welcome for each of us newbies.  We were given a bowl of rice (a staple crop here), a lotus flower, and incense.  From the left: New Missioner Emily (a Filipino Lay Missioner serving in Myanmar), Sr. Mary (Maryknoll Sr. in Myanmar), James (MKLM in Cambodia), Karen (that's me), Nancy (MKLM in Cambodia), New Missioner Hang (my roommate), behind Hang is Sr. Luise (20ish years in Cambodia), Sr. Ann (new as of six months ago to Cambodia).  Photo by Charlie Dittmeier

  
Just so you don't think I spent all my time on the beach, we also had prayer.  Best part of this, culturally, it is acceptable to sit on the floor :)  As long as I don't point the bottom of my feet at any person or religious statue.
 
Photo by Charlie Dittmeier
 
  
Sr. Noni (center) was leading our retreat.  She based the whole thing on Endo's Deep River.  I have never been to a retreat based on a novel before.  It was a fascinating approach.  You can see from the photo, there were a bunch of us.
Photo by Charlie Dittmeier

  
And, here is the whole group.  This includes almost all the SE Asia Missioners (Lay Missioners, Sisters, Fathers, Brothers, Filipino Lay Missioners) and some others from Asia, as well as invited leadership from the US.  Not sure you can see from the photo, I was showing my Oregon Pride.
Photo by Charlie Dittmeier

From here, it was off to Cambodia.  Those updates coming soon...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Karen the architecture and statues are amazing!! What a beautiful country. Glad you got to do some sightseeing :) Give Hang a hug for me, love to you both!

    ReplyDelete