Friday, February 14, 2014

Doyc K'nia, Ko K'nia, Part I

Doyc K'nia (pronounced Doy- like boy - "ku," "Ku," nia - rhymes with Kia)  Ko K'nia (Ko=co, K'nia same as before)  These are my phonetics for Same, Different in Khmer.  That is basically a summary of my new life here.  Many aspects are the same, but not.  Here are just a few examples from my house (and now y'all can see where I am living).

1 - This is my room. Notice my level of tidiness has not improved.  Was going to tidy up for the photo but that would be misrepresentation....


It basically looks like my room in the states.
This photo is a misrepresentation of my room in the states :)  You will notice significantly more blankets on that bed though...


Differences: There are light switches that don't actually control anything...  One of these controls the light in the hall.  This is the only switch controlling that light...


I also have my own wall fan and AC. 

I strive to never use that AC, as it would cost mucho dinero (oops... wrong language).


2- In the US, I would drink water from the tap.  Many of you know this because if you offered me filtered water, I would say "Does your water have Cholera?"



This is where I get my water here...  Lovely filter, don't you think?  Oddly, not drinking tap water is not difficult for me to do.  I only once put it accidentally on my toothbrush (and some people say it is fine to use for brushing, so, I didn't panic much).

3 - This is my stove. 


 Difference...

No temperatures indicated... From what I can gather, the oven gets to about 300 degrees... This is based on how well, or not well, things seem to be baking... Ovens and stoves are not super common in the non-ex-pat community here.  Stoves are a bit more common but I definitely still see people cooking with charcoal on the side walk with a little stove when I run in the wee hours of the morning.

4- This is my dishwasher...
....
....
...
...
...
I am not living in the Ritz after all...




5 - This is my washing machine. 


When it drains the water, this is where it goes...  


 Trust me.  I had a 1st world reaction the first time I walked into the bathroom while doing laundry and the entire floor was flooded.

7-  These are my stairs to our second floor.

Just looking at this, you will probably think, they look like stairs.  Well, a few years back, my father was explaining to me how architects/builders make all the steps the same depth.  This way your brain knows exactly how high you have to step with each step.  Let's just say, my father needs to have that conversation with a few people :)  My brain can't take any step for granted.  I think I used that same line in a blog about my broken foot...

8 - Many of you will know, when asked in my interview, "What do you think will be one of your greatest challenges living abroad?"  I quickly replied, "Cold Showers."  I am a fairly adaptable person but freezing water cascading over me invokes screams of sheer terror and discomfort.  I know, it is a privileged perspective but there it is.  SO, this little contraption was possibly my favorite discovery of my home. 

This is a one shower - water heater.  Clearly, my prayers "Please help me be able to deal with cold showers." were answered :)



2 comments:

  1. wow! I can't believe you get hot water! That is also one of the things I think will be most challenging about Bolivia. Maybe I'll get lucky and find the same lovely surprise that you did! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a link to Caitlin's blog on Bolivian shower experience, apparently we think alike :) You could be in luck!

      http://www.bloglovin.com/frame?post=2354644929&group=0&frame_type=b&blog=10963959&link=aHR0cDovL2NhaXRsaW50aGVyZXNhLmJsb2dzcG90LmNvbS8yMDE0LzAyL2xldC10YWxrLWJhdGhyb29tcy1hbmQtc2hvd2VyaW5nLmh0bWw&frame=1&click=0&user=0

      Delete