Thursday, March 10, 2016

Branding is not universal

A few weeks back, I was talking with another ex-pat about branding and how what may make sense in one location or culture just doesn't sell in another context.  This got me thinking of some of the 'ridiculous' brand names I have recently seen that would make someone from my culture snicker.  Unfortunately, I did not have a camera accessible when I saw these so you will just need to use your imagination...  Just like the folks that work at one of my favorites, Creative Translations (previously mentioned on Facebook).  I think their slogan should be, We may not understand but at least it will be interesting...

I have also come up with a few helpful visual aids for those of you that have forgotten how to use your imagination...

Hygiene

I think we would all agree that is a good thing.  As defined by dictionary.com:
"noun

1. Also, hygienics. the science that deals with the preservation of health.
2. a condition or practice conducive to the preservation of health, as cleanliness."

But, how would you feel if it appeared on...
... your coffee?  I guess that must be what folks are drinking when they say, "Wow, that coffee really cleaned me out."
But, don't worry, if you are feeling a bit less hygienic (synonyms healthful and sanitary) right next to hygiene coffee, you can get the opposite brand and competition to all things sanitary:
Moving on from coffee, another brand that may not fly in the USA...  I will describe this one for you, so close your eyes...  
Yes, those are eyes and, yes, I was kidding.  If you close your eyes, how will you read this?  Your brain will have to multitask...

So, it was a dark and stormy night.  I was biking home from a meeting when a tuktuk pulled in front of me with a very interesting advertisement displayed on the back...

Note: This depiction of a tuktuk is a 100% accurate :)

My eyes caught sight of a beautiful lady draped across a handsome shirtless muscular man (Thus, I assumed they were selling beer because what other image sells more beer).  As I gazed at the man, admiring his well toned pecs and impressively well photo-shopped abs, I saw the waistband of his boxer briefs proudly displayed above his jeans...  Proclaiming to the world... that he was indeed wearing... Dainty Briefs.  I could not make this stuff up.

Last, but not least, is the great apartment building I saw.  Proudly named, The Address.  A name the great Abbott and Costello would no doubt appreciate.

Person A: Sure, we can meet at your place.  Where do you live?
Person B: The Address.
Person A: Sure, the address.
Person B: You know it?
Person A: Uhh... No.  What is the address?
Person B: The building.
Person A: Yes, the building where you live...
Person B: The Address.
Person A: Yes!  The address would be great.
Person B: Good, I'm glad that works as a meeting place.
Person A: But, where?
Person B: The Address.

... and on and on they could go...


 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Oh, that's perfect, haha. What would you like to see today, asks the Realtor. "The Address," answers the client. Thanks for posting, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! HA! My hubbie and I love to look at labels in foreign countries! We even brought back a hot drink called BIMBO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bimbo Bread is a company that started in the U.S. over 70 years ago. They now own Thomas', Arnold, and others. But I think their products actually branded as "Bimbo" are more popular in Latin America. For some reason. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Teenager coffee: for days when you wake up late and grumpy and feel like being sarcastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is The Place still there as well?

    ReplyDelete