Monday, November 26, 2012

Reflections on Poverty

After watching The Line and playing Spent (the interactive game), there is so much information on which we could reflect.  I am going to make an attempt at pulling out some of the statistics and situations that arose in these two blogs.  Did these help you to rethink some of your stereotypes?  John definitely stood out to me, as his falling below the line is the example most within my reality.

The first idea that comes to mind is the idea of choice.  I think both The Line and the game illustrate how poverty takes away our choices.  For example, I would never think I would be the person who hits a parked car and drives away but when doing the activity and that happened, with $125 in my bank account, did I really have a choice?  When we are financially secure, with a strong support system, a good education, good job, no fear of discrimination, we really do have far more choices open to us.  Something, I know I often take for granted.  I think it also allows us to at times be more critical of those struggling in poverty, because we don't realize that what seems like a choice to us, is not really a choice.

"Poor people are just lazy."  We have all heard this, maybe some of us have said it.  The statistic in The Line, "7 million Americans are working two jobs just to make ends meet" debunks that statement fairly quickly.  That kind of schedule is definitely not one of a person who is averse or disinclined to work.  Additionally, let's look at low-wage jobs.  Restaurant work - this is hard on the body and in many states, a large part of income is dependent on tips(so workers have to be upbeat, personable, and great at customer service).  Human services jobs, such as childcare or senior care, are also often staffed by low-wage workers, again we are talking hours on your feet in an exhausting work environment.  Public transportation employees (have you ever paid attention to how these folks are treated). Waste Management, Construction, Store Clerks, Landscape folks, Gas Station Attendants, I could go on and on naming positions.  This makes my desk job seem so relaxing, yes, those have their own challenges, but they are not nearly as physically demanding.  Try one of these jobs for a day and see how you are feeling by the end. There is a great mini-documentary by Morgan Spurlock (the first episode of his show 30 days),  on being a low-wage worker/living on minimum wage.  If you can track down a copy of it, I highly recommend this show- unfortunately, it is no longer on Netflix.  Low-wage workers are often folks that are invisible in our society.  For the next week, we should all try to be conscientious of when we are interacting with these low-wage workers and appreciate the work they put in, not only to support their families but to keep our society functioning.

This one really hit me.  As I sat, doing the interactive activity on the internet.... 44% of people living under the poverty line visit the local library to go online.  Definitely take that one for granted.  To find support resources, find jobs, fill out job applications, find bus schedules, find doctors, think how much of that is online. Many entry level service jobs say, "Just fill-out our application online." When was the last time you saw a phone book?  Taking this a step further, how many teachers, even in elementary and middle school require students to write papers, do projects, or conduct research online.  Those of us with internet in our homes assume that everyone has a home computer with internet, that is an additional barrier that really has only existed for the last 10-15 years.  Just a bit of food for thought!  Please feel free to use the comments section to discuss or take note of concepts that struck you!




1 comment:

  1. Karen,

    I've been playing catch up on all your posts. I watched The Line last night and wanted to thank you for posting it. It was very interesting and a great resource. Using the internet at the library really stunned me, too. I did go to my local library at home a few times before leaving the country and noticed every single computer was in use, although now I realize that they may have not been playing games but using them out of necessity. Anyways, I am really enjoying following along. Take care!

    ReplyDelete