Friday, July 5, 2013

Next Adventure Location is...


Only a month delayed in this announcement...  At the beginning of June, I got the call for which I had been waiting with great anticipation.  "Hello, can I speak with Karen? ... This is the Maryknoll Regional Program Director in Cambodia calling..."  I will be honest.  I have no idea what the title was and began shaking with excitement at the word Cambodia.  Thus, despite my finely honed, intentional listening skills, I remember little of the rest of that conversation.  

Summary: My Maryknoll Lay Missioner placement is in Cambodia.  Upon learning this, I became a Chihuahua - small, blond, shaking thing that people regularly would like to drop kick and likes to hear itself bark but will rarely actually get close enough to bite you. :)  My enthusiastic shaking at knowing where I would be moving in January lasted for about an hour.  My co-workers were all very excited for me - the overwhelming consensus was "Think of all the amazing food."  I then had to go start making some family phone calls, all of whom were probably glad I heard at 10:00 am and not earlier with the three hour time difference.

So, I do not yet know what my work will be when in the country - that is determined post-arrival.  I have independently started attempting to learn as much as I can about the country, culture, people, language, history, etc. so as to prepare for this next adventure. Many of the placements involve youth, as 50% of the population is under the age of 25. The foci of Maryknoll programming there are youth, livelihoods, education, and Vietnamese communities (they are a minority, isolated group in the country). Maryknoll operates a huge school for the deaf in Phnom Penh so there is some possibility I could end up returning to first second-language, and learning some Khmer Sign Language.

What else do I know now?
1) I will be living in Phnom Penh- the capitol city (pronounced Puh-nom Pen)
2) The language there is Khmer (pronounced Kuh-My)
3) I start training in Ossinig, NY on Oct 5 and end training Dec. 15
4) I leave the country for Cambodia sometime after that...
5) I complete my commitment in May, 2017, an aged and wizened 30ish year old.

I will do my best to keep you all apprised of new developments and details as I prepare, and would love to see as many of you as possible pre-departure.  East Coasters - I leave DC Aug.22.  West Coasters - I am in your neck of the woods and free-ish Sept. 8 - Oct. 5-ish.  Let me know if you have questions on my grand adventure, sage words of advice, if you need me to find Cambodia on a map for you, etc.


6 comments:

  1. Nice! I will forever know how to pronounce Phnom Penh thanks to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! Can't wait to follow your adventures. So bummed that we're not crossing paths in the midwest...Guess I'll have to plan a trip to Cambodia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a friend named Aimee from study abroad who just returned from Phnom Penh after four years there- she's Sacramento now. Her Cambodia blog is http://aimeeandcambodia.wordpress.com/, and her contact information is there too-- I'm sure she would love to give you info... plus there are lots of pictures of her favorite street snacks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. Let us know your travel plans - perhaps we'll transit through Australia at the same time, some time. Also, arranging Skype dates will be much easier when you are in Asia. What is the government structure of Cambodia?
    I hope that 30 is not the general age of wizening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting Karen! Can't wait to read more about your adventure. I'll get in touch with you when you're in Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, Karen. You are in for a very big adventure, and we will keep you in our prayers.
    Pat Ell

    ReplyDelete