Saturday, May 31, 2014

Leaving Phnom Penh

That's right, folks!  I am leaving Phnom Penh!





This picture is where I will be living for the next month. To the Campo I go! For some reason, that Spanish word describes it best. With Maryknoll Lay Missioners, we are encouraged to do a language immersion in our first six months here. The purpose of this is to be completely surrounded by Khmer and come back speaking like a native... errr... to be able to understand more... to not contract a parasite? :) Yes, we are meant to immerse ourselves in the culture and language of our new home. For those who know me well, you will not be surprised that I am super excited for this opportunity. My Khmer is coming along. I can usually communicate what I want to say to Khmer, though, my teachers understand my terrible accent better than the average person on the road.


I will be living at a parish in Kampong Cham (a province about three hours northeast of where I currently live, or around 160 km – divide by five multiple by three - 96 miles????) You can learn a thing or two about the roads based on that... But, I digress. So, this parish has been there for about 20 years. It is in a small village call Koroka (my spelling, not their's). This village got electricity two years ago. They have about 60-80 youth that regularly participate in activities with the church (small portion are Catholic). There are a few small-ish fields on the property which are farmed, I would say maybe an acre and a half. They grow ground nuts (peanuts), corn, and various other vegetables. The folks who work on the farm are able to work there for 2-3 years and are typically folks that are struggling (one was recently widowed before she started working there). The time limit helps to keep from creating a dependency relationship but gives folks the ability to keep going through a tough time.  The parish also own a rice field near by their main location.


Everyone keeps asking what exactly I will be doing... Not sure :) I will hopefully be able to help with the day-to-day farming tasks. Maybe will learn a bit about growing rice. The youth have a dance group, so, maybe will learn some traditional dance. Basically, it will be a time to practice langauge and learn more about the average lives of Khmer folks. Being rural, internet will also be a less regular occurance, so I will be a bit off the grid until July - great for future discernment, language study, and being fully present to this Cambodian Adventure!

Until July (most likely), I leave you with these photos of my new neighborhood!

This is at the church in the city 10 minutes or so from my village.  This is inculturation, Jesus in typical Buddha sitting position.

Cambodian Creche at the same church

Guest Hut.  There are about five of these on the property for visitors. I stayed here while visiting but will be blessed with a bed for my month long stay.

  
Mosquito net over the mat on the floor aka bed in the hut.


Shower!  That is called a Piung.  It holds water.  There is a little scoop bucket to scoop and pour.

Jesus sitting on the church property.  NOTE THE TREES! :)

This is their Jesus outdoor chapel/shrine.  Great mural!

View from behind the property.  This whole area is flood plains so this may all be under water in my time there.  I will have to walk over and check the water levels each day!   I believe, we decided this was currently planted with peanuts...

The Mighty Mekong River.  Short walk from my new home.  This will definitely rise in my time there.

Mekong

A man moving his cows to graze in a different area.  This will probably also be under water.

4 comments:

  1. Karen;
    Hello!
    Sounds like you are having an doing well and having an adventure indeed!
    Keep sending those great pics.
    Peace and love, Manny and Mary Hotchkiss
    (P.S. Convert km multiply by.6 ie: 100 km x.6= 60 mi)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so much easier! But, I always forget so I remember a 5K is just over three miles :) Was wondering who was going to correct my conversions :)

      Delete
    2. Karen-- Best of luck with your new home. I will miss the updates until July!

      Delete
  2. Good luck and safe travels- I'll be thinking happy thoughts for your next step in this adventure.

    ReplyDelete