Friday, May 23, 2014

What do I want to be when I grow up...

What do I want to be when I grow up?  That seems to be a constant question I face.  At this point, four, going on five, months into my time here, it is time to start figuring out what I will do for ministry.  For those that are not aware of this process, basically, we spend six months learning the language (because how do you plan to serve alongside people when you cannot communicate).  During this time, new missioners visit existing missioners' work sites, as well as any other non-profit organization in which they have an interest.  After much contemplation, we pick one in which to work (with the invitation of the organization of course).  So, I am in that searching stage for what I will do when I grow up... in two months...

I thought I would share with you some of the projects I have visited, and the awesome things my groupmates are doing.  One other note, I will probably not have many pictures in these descriptions.  I struggle with this, as I know many of you will never be to Cambodia and I want to show you what I see.  Having been trained as a fundraiser, I also know that kids and puppies are what tug on heart strings (put a 'poor' kid with a 'poor' dog on your site and donations rise, people keep reading, etc).  I, personally, find much of this exploitative so will be trying to tread lightly with photos.  How would I feel if someone was taking a picture of me in my home because it was different or of my kid because he hadn't yet taken a bath that day?  Let's be honest, cops would be called :)  So, I will be trying to only provide you with pictures when the parties involved give permission or individuals are not pictured.

So, following that disclosure, projects I have visited...  The first one I went to see was the Deaf Development Project (DDP).  The DDP is the place of work to two of my groupmates.  This organization provides an education to adults that are deaf.  The students, age 15 and up, have never met another deaf person before coming to DDP, in general.  They are unable to attend school and have no way to communicate.  They are completely isolated, except for whatever interaction their family provides which is often not positive.  DDP teaches these adults to use their 'voice' by giving them language.  They gain community by being with others who are deaf.  They also receive vocational training so they can, hopefully, find employment upon completion of the program.  As a person who is very community motivated, I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to be unable to communicate but that is the reality of many here in Cambodia.  DDP is currently working with the children's school for the deaf and they are together developing what will be THE Cambodian Sign Language.  Currently, American Sign Language is largely used with the children so they are trying to universalize - obviously, this is essential for building a sustainable Deaf Community in the country.  My past experience with the Deaf Community within the US specifically triggered my interest in this project and it is fascinating to see how much overlap there is with signs (at least the ones I remember in ASL).  The DDP recently released a documentary about their work. it is short only six minutes, if you want to learn more.  (It is an AWESOME Film, I think).

The second missioner with whom I talked was James.  He works at Love146.  On organization that works around human trafficking issues.  His specific research focus is on  the demand side of sex trafficking.  The studies on which he works strive to understand the motives of those who will buy another human being for sex.  Some of the stories which he has heard and learned are horrendous.  Unfortunately, here in Cambodia, trafficking is very common.  And, not just into the sex industry.  People in search of better jobs will be taken overseas and imprisoned for low wages and in horrendous work condition.  Men in particular may be 'employed' on fishing boats that head out to sea and don't dock for YEARS, one recent story I heard was of a man who was on a ship for four years.  If these men protest, they are simply thrown overboard and new ones are brought on board.  I was very interested in what he had to share as I have studied Human Trafficking a fair amount independently and it seems like so many people focus on the victims.  I have always felt until we focus on the 'demand' side, there will always be more tricked into the 'supply,.' so it was interesting to see what that looked like here.  I also had to opportunity to get a tour of the red light district with this ministry and learn all sorts of fun facts, like the fact that the sex industry really picked up when the UN came to Cambodia.  Love146 also has a video here about their work.

I will leave you with some more happy thoughts.  Recently, my friend Ingrid with whom I studied at UP came to visit Cambodia at the end of her backpacking adventures. 

On one of the first days she was here, we attempted to find silk island.  That failed.  But, we still found a place that made silk and had fun doing it!

Lexy and Ingrid (Lexy is here with another mission group from Venezuela)

Mariana and Eslendy in the tuktuk on the way to our adventure. With the same group from Venezuela.  Yes, there are moments when riding through Cambodia, in a tuktuk, speaking Spanish you have to say, 'isn't life funny?'

Small white specks are silk worms.

Showing us the silk eggs hatching to silk worms.

These are the silk cocoons (yellow)  They are heated and then spun into rough thread.  That is further processed and spun in the smooth thread we recognize as silk.

Learning to use the loom.

I couldn't imagine sitting and doing this eight hours/day

Feet are involved as well.

This was a simple pattern.  The more advanced multi-color, not just stripe patterns, can take one week just to set up the loom.  It is mesmerizing to watch! Well, when a professional does it.  When I was doing it, it was probably more like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

 

And, last but not least, these beauties are on my front porch.  As long as I keep them watered, they seem to bloom every month to every other month :)


No comments:

Post a Comment