Saturday, December 15, 2012

Immigration - more than just a political issue

For many of us, immigration is simply a hot button issue to not mention in mixed company.  It may be about jobs or racism or human rights or legality, depending on with whom you are speaking.  It could focus on a path to citizenship, or the DREAM act, or border abuse, or supporting a family, or remittances, or trade agreements. 

As many know, I spent a year working on the US-Mexico border.  Even before that, I had a high proportion of 'immigrants' in my friend group.  My work with the Border Servant Corps, however, forever connected my life to that of immigrants - some of whom were undocumented.  For that reason, this 'issue' is close to my heart.  It is not about us and them, those are my friends and members of my adopted family.  With that said, and knowing that not everyone has been so lucky to really come to know undocumented workers, I hope this week to provide you all with more of my personal stories, as well as some of the who, what, when, why, and how behind undocumented immigration and some of the parts of immigration of which we are not aware or that we would not like to see.  I hope to present information, specifically, to show the many complexities.  And, though all the blogs are not written there will probably be a focus on Mexican Immigration.

To start, here is a clip about the violence on the US-Mexico Border.  One of my classmates is featured with her experiences and the violence she witnessed.

If you are very ambitious, here is part two of that same Need to Know special.

No comments:

Post a Comment