Sunday, March 9, 2014

And, the actual price is...

As they say on The Price is Right: And, the actual price is... (I think that is what they say, haven't watched that show in a long time...)  If you didn't yet see the last blog post, take a moment to guess the various prices of these items.

Actual price: $1.30  Eggs have, at one store, gone from $1.10 when I arrived to $1.30.  And, the extra bonus points to those who realized eggs here are not sold by the dozen.  They are sold in cartons of ten at the store. Though, you can also buy them in the market.  I have not yet tried that to see how much they cost.  That may be my next adventure.  Though, I am a little scared of accidentally getting one with a chick inside... Animal carcass falling into my brownie batter seems unfortunate... Side note, people here eat fertilized eggs as a specialty item.  I will not be having that crunchy cultural experience.

Actual Price: $2.80 - I have shopped around to three different markets and at some the cheapest butter is $3.40.  Too bad the cheap butter is the farthest from my house...

Actual Price: $4.60

Actual Price: $1.60 (is the cheapest price I have seen and remember)

 
Actual Price: $0.50 - $0.67  I think the lady there has gotten to know me because I buy a hand of bananas at least twice each week.  I also think she realized I wasn't going to barter so she raised the asking price from $0.50 to $0.67.  Once we jump to $0.75, I will say price (as they say for bargain) like my life depends on it.  That right there will break the piggy bank ;)

Actual Price: $1.25 BUT THEY ARE SO GOOD!  And, we haven't had to buy them for a while thanks to my generous teacher giving me some from her family's trees.  I wonder if I can grow a mango tree on the balcony of my apartment...

 
Actual Price: $0.67 (Dragon Fruit in case you forgot what that is)


Actual Price: $0.67 - Doesn't that beautiful color just make you want to lick it!?!  FYI, bad idea if you have a touch screen...


Actual Price: $0.50

Actual Price: $0.50

So, how'd you do?  Did you have to phone a friend?  Did you want to buy a vowel?  Use a life line?  Are you the Weakest Link?  Were you voted off the island?  What is, please stop using game show references?  :)

*Side note: I got a little closer to all of you in the US last night.  We don't have day light savings time here, so I am now 14 hours off of the West Coast and 11 hours from the East Coast.  (The other amounts were so much easier to calculate).  And, last tangent, I recently had a conversation with my teacher in Khmer.  I told him I spoke with my sister in the morning and he said, "Oh, is it 8pm there for your family?"  I said, "Yes, for my sister.  It is 5pm for the rest of my family."  He looked confused (more so than when I usually am speaking).  I, then, attempted to explain time zones.  He said, "Huh.  Cambodia is all the same."  I laughed, "And said, that is because Cambodia is the same size as one state in my country :)"  So, this is your question to be answered next time.  What state is roughly the same size as Cambodia?  (Ok, there are probably multiple states but if you guess the one I am thinking of, you get kudos. I may have mentioned it in an earlier blog).



3 comments:

  1. i cheated and saw that it was Misssouri :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our butter and cheese comes from Anchor as well except NZ to you is a lot closer than NZ to where we are.

    ReplyDelete