Friday, March 21, 2014

Doyc K'nia, Ko K'nia Part II

Back a few weeks ago, I brought you Doyc K'nia, Ko K'nia Part I - highlighting some of the similarities and differences between my old life and my new life here.  Now, I bring you Part II.  I know, this is not going to be nearly as epically awesome as watching my amazing and profound facial expressions as I try to speak Khmer, but, something has to follow that blog post.

First, let's talk about security systems.  In my old house, we had two locks on the door the deadbolt and whatever you call that other one on the knob :)  Clearly, I have some amazing knowledge of locks.  The deadbolt also stopped working about three weeks after I moved into the house and we never used it again for three years.  Our landlord gave us a new one but we never managed to copy the key :)

This is security now:

Oh, and I forgot the most important part.  Tony.

This Rasta-Guard dog rocks some awesome dreadlocks and will pretend to like you and then bark like he is going to tear your face off in two seconds.  He actually probably serves his purpose very well.  1) Many people are scared of dogs here.  2) He makes so much noise, he wakes the owners and they investigate.  On one occasion, when I was coming back after some Maryknoll outing, he started barking like he wanted to eat me, and I heard my landlord say, from inside the house, who is it.  As soon as I told him, he told the dog to quiet down.  *Hilarious sidenote, as soon as I started writing this, Tony started barking.

Yes, I think my old dog looks the part:
But, she would never be hired because she never barks... That whole running away from everything would also disqualify her.

Ceilings.  How often do you contemplate your ceiling?  Maybe only when you should be sleeping at night.  Well, let me show you my ceiling:


If you have skyped with me, chances are you have seen this as it is the first thing I show people :)  This was a French colony back in the day and you can still see that reflected in the architecture.  A few other notes, the high ceiling does help keep the place cooler - yahoo!  I have no idea what we do when the light bulbs need to be changed.  And, we don't use the chandelier, as it sparks a wee bit.

Another difference is the style of microwave.
This is how I reheat my food.  Let's be honest, usually I am too lazy to do that and it is hot, so I just eat cold leftovers.



Hope you enjoyed seeing some more of the new parts of my daily life!  Happy Weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Love the increased vlogging going on but us folks in Tanzania are entirely unable to stream videos with our super slow internet. Major bummer. Hoping once we finish language school and move we'll have a slightly faster connection and be able to watch along.

    ReplyDelete