Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The World Cries With Us

Sometimes, the Universe plays the song you need to hear.

For those that did not yet know, my beloved Grandma passed away this past Saturday.  For those that didn't have the privilege of knowing her, she is the Grandma I often described as a lot like me but with different 'issues' about which she was passionate.  She cooked everything from scratch.  Made the world's best sourdough bread and apricot jam, for some reason that is all I want to eat at the moment but am getting by on cookies and ice cream.  Her "People" were her top priority.  She was passionately committed to the Catholic church and working against issues she found to be injustices.  She had a competitive streak, especially if a deck of cards was involved, that was unmatched.  She was frugal in her own life but generous to those in need and in her support of her people and causes.  Basically, she was pretty awesome.  If anyone would like to join hearts with my family, she was a huge fan of the rosary but any moment of prayer and good vibes would be appreciated on May 3, from 9:30am -11am (ish) they will be having the funeral in Oregon.  Since, I can't be there in person, I am inviting others to also be there in spirit with me and the whole famalam.

So, why do I say the universe plays the song you need to hear?  I was sitting on my floor, reading her obituary, and crying my eyes out with Wallace the stuffed bear (moments ago).  When suddenly, the world started crying with me.  In our 100 plus degree days, these rains are magical on the tin roofs and rare occurrences.  I, literally, went and stood in the road for about five minutes, until I was soaked to the core and every Khmer person that saw me was completely convinced I was insane.  This one is for you, Grandma!


The World Cries With Us (by Karen Bortvedt for Gma)

 Sometimes the lightning slices through your body, imploding your heart, sending pain through every nerve.
And, sometimes, the thunder rattles your bones, shaking you to the very core.
Sometimes the lightning, burns up your every routine and rhythm, your very way of life.
And, sometimes, the world cries with you.


Sometimes, the skies darken, hiding every light and hope.
And, sometimes, the clouds roll in without warning or a chance to run.
Sometimes, the darkness blots out the future and the past, even the flowers shield their face.
And, sometimes, the world cries with you.


Sometimes, the rains crash down, soaking every molecule of your being.
And, sometimes, the deluge leaves you cold and alone.
Sometimes, the rains flood out all you hoped to do and leave you with nothing but washed out memories and dreams.
And, sometimes the world cries with you.


But, sometimes, the sun breaks through those clouds.
And, sometimes, those same rains baptize us to a new way of life.
Sometimes, the downpour will wash away our pain.
Because, we know we are not alone when the world cries with us.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your beautiful writing and this beautiful post! Sending you all the best to you and your family Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of love to you, Karen, as you work through this sadness. I'm glad you have your strong community, and your writing as outlets. We are there with you, love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Karen! I will offer Mass for your Grandmother and for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be saying a prayer for you, your family and your wonderful Grandma everyday this week, and twice on Sunday :-) Love you- your poem brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete